In their restoration of Koch’s Courthouse, Rønnow Arkitekter have restored its architectural dignity. A gaol extension dating from 1871 was removed, while the courtyard surrounding the building was opened up to create a new urban space for the people of the town.
Constructed in 1838, the building is considered to be one of the last town halls to be built prior to the abolition of Denmark’s absolute monarchy. The courthouse became a model for the design of many of the large number of town hall, courthouse and gaol buildings that sprang up throughout Denmark during the 19th century.
The courthouse has now been given new energy, both figuratively and literally. As part of the conversion, Koch’s Courthouse was subject to a number of energy-saving measures. For example, the historic building now features solar cells, geothermal heat and a number of high-tech solutions, all of which contribute to energy optimisation. The architects also opened up the gaol’s courtyard and the little garden that is situated behind the courtyard, connecting them to the car park. The result is a new shortcut in the town, which adds life to the centre, at the same time drawing attention to one of the most beautiful buildings in the town.
“The best preservation of our historic buildings entails their active role in our modern society.” Realdania By & Byg